Grammar Project Manila
The Grammar Project is a workshop series that aims to build language confidence by integrating precise grammar and internationally recognized syntax across speaking and writing skills. It uses global standards, premier tools and diligent methodology for effective English language learning.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Say: "Guitarist"


It was only when my husband corrected me that I realized my pronunciation of this word was off. DJs, celebrities and musicians in Manila have long been saying, "GUI-tarist" the way one would say Gatorade. It seems to have been configured to our own interpretation so much so that the oversight has become the acceptable and what is perceived as correct. When you really think about it, the root word is "gui-TAR".

The musician who plays the guitar is called a "gui-TAR-ist".

The doubting Thomas' reference: www.dictionary.com and www.meriam-webster.com.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks.. That was informative. Anyway, I was wondering about a different word. I want you to tell me what you think. I often hear people..including Radio Jockey, Djs pronounce 'request' as "RE-quest." I hear everybody say it like that. I think it's more proper to say it like "re-QUEST." What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooding Bachelor,

    Thanks so much for posting a comment. I do believe that the stress should be on the second syllable, just like you said. I did check across different sources, both American and British, to see if there might be exceptions to the rule. After verifying, it is safe to conclude that whether it is said as a verb or a noun, there is only one pronunciation: re-QUEST.

    Cheers!

    -TGP

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Philippines License. All illustrations, photos and written material on this site are COPYRIGHT by Grammar Project. No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission of Grammar Project Manila.