Grammar Project Manila
The Grammar Project is a workshop series that aims to build language confidence by integrating precise grammar and internationally recognized syntax across speaking and writing skills. It uses global standards, premier tools and diligent methodology for effective English language learning.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Brian Writes From New York City


Dear Grammar Project,

My friends from grad school have told me that they like my accent very much, not as sing-song as those from other cultures, with very good intonation and inflection (I am not sure what those exactly mean, really). In any case, I get the same thing from front desk people or receptionists when I call for dental appointments. Some even try to guess where I am from. Most would guess incorrectly, except those who would have a lot of Filipino friends.

So my question is, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of having a Filipino accent? Also, is it a good idea to take on the accent of the place where I am at? Or
should I try to neutralize mine so I am more understandable in more places? Is that even possible?


Thank God that coming from the Philippines will mean an easier time to catch on with how other cultures speak and talk. I recall from years ago, after just a few days of staying in Sydney, napapa 'mate' na rin ako. Hahahah. So please, any advice on this would really be helpful.

Maraming salamat po at more power sa inyo pong blog.

Sincerely,

Brian, NYC

P.S. I really like the contents and articles on your blog. I visit it everyday and I thoroughly enjoy reading through the anecdotes and learning devices. Thank you and more power to you and your endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Philippines License. All illustrations, photos and written material on this site are COPYRIGHT by Grammar Project. No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission of Grammar Project Manila.