Grammar Project Manila
The Grammar Project is a workshop series that aims to build language confidence by integrating precise grammar and internationally recognized syntax across speaking and writing skills. It uses global standards, premier tools and diligent methodology for effective English language learning.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

How Do You Stop Yourself From Laughing?

"How do you stop yourself from laughing?

This is one of the common questions I get from people I encounter when they find out that I teach the English language or ESL (English As A Second Language). People wonder how I keep myself from laughing at students' faulty grammar.

The answer?

I don't. Because I don't think it's fair for a teacher to do so nor am I even inclined to laugh when the student makes mistakes as they give it their best shot in class. I have very high regard for all my students because they are mature enough to acknowledge their imperfection and brave enough to make time and actually do something about it (assuming that they came to class voluntarily). However, if someone purporting to be an English teacher bungles it up constantly and significantly, then that's a totally different story.
Note: Awkward or confusing signs/statements are used in this blog for purposes of illustrating a point and using real examples. Fyi. :-)

When a clip of a beauty contestant made its way to my inbox over a year ago, I was shocked. Not at the person insisting on sticking to a fragmented language, but at the audience who snickered and guffawed while she continuously flashed her pearly whites. I guess it is exactly this very mentality that pushes people in our society to recoil into their comfort zones.

I believe there is no point in being in the field of education if it is considered a threat that the student can one day surpass me in all capacity. Frankly, I consider my job done when students exceed expectations --- mine and theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Philippines License. All illustrations, photos and written material on this site are COPYRIGHT by Grammar Project. No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission of Grammar Project Manila.